[squeak-dev] Burn the Squeak Image! (Why I am running for board)

edgar De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Feb 28 09:17:56 UTC 2009

> A standard "kernel image" that everyone builds
> off of has long
> been a pipe dream of nearly everyone in the community. I
> believe
> that such an image is not achievable in the short term;
> convincing all of the squeak distributions to adopt it
> would be
> nearly impossible to adopt incrementally.

Such image exist and is MorphicCore of Pavel Krivanek.
We should go towards this , removing packages from the top and reshaping packages if packages as we know today can't be unloades/loaded nicely

The first step was 3.10 as Ralph and me design and build and Damien use for the dev images.
The second step is SqueakLightII , which moves out and lets reload EToys and Nebraska  (and others)
Also brings the idea of the Class repository and the "intelligent load".
This is in beta now and could load old and new code and foreing forks code ins some cases.
Only needs help for polish this ideas and reach the common ground to all Squeaks forks.

And we need "official images" , like Linux have a common kernel

A clarification:
Was not me the Morphic wizard, was the amazing Morphic Team I and II with Dan , Ned, Juan, Jerome.
I only learn a little of they and wish learn a lot of you, Andreas, etc as I learning of all wonderful people in Board today.

Edgar

      Yahoo! Cocina
Recetas prácticas y comida saludable
http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/