[squeak-dev] Execute code when a Morph is destroyed

Séverin Lemaignan skadge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 20:57:00 UTC 2009

> I never dealt with bin in Morphic.
> But something tells me that you employing wrong model :)
> In a right way, you should use a separate class which operates with
> com port, and morph should be a view of an instance of such object.
> Then your question will lose context, since you have a model - which
> acts by itself and closing external resources when it becomes garbage.
> And you have a morph, which is a view of your model object, and you
> can have as many views as you want to, and it is irrelevant if any of
> them alive or not, putted in bin or somewhere else :)

It's definitely the way I do :-)
I've basically a SerialHandler, a Module and a ModuleMorph. The Module
class (the "C" of the MVC model) holds all the logic and lives outside
of the "morphic" world. But, to be "user friendly", I would like to
close the serial port when the ModuleMorph (the "V" :-) ) is put in
the garbage. So I need to call smthg in Module from ModuleMorph when
the morph is destroyed.
In parallel, your tip concerning finalization is useful at all events
for the Module class.

Bye,
Séverin