[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Number comparison, hash, NaN, Point, and other partially ordered sets

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Wed Jan 7 11:42:40 UTC 2009

> One idle thought I had today was whether one couldn't entirely get rid
> of float-valued NaNs and instead introduce a well-known NaN instance
> that *isn't* an instance of Float and consequently also isn't a Number,
> doesn't do any arithmetic etc. etc. etc.

Another possibility is to have the primitives fail and the fallback code
signal a Notification.  The notification would by default return a NaN
float.  It might be okay to use a NaN object too;; however it should
behave the same way as IEEE NaNs and would have to be interoperable with
FFI and FloatArrays (does Squeak have them?).

I don't think it makes sense to use Integer or Fraction NaNs.  In that
case you do not have infinities either, and raising hard errors makes
more sense.  Note that GNU Smalltalk does not even raise a ZeroDivide
for floating-point division:

  st> 1 / 0
  Object: 1 error: The program attempted to divide a number by zero
  ZeroDivide(Exception)>>signal (AnsiExcept.st:216)
  SmallInteger(Number)>>zeroDivide (AnsiExcept.st:1534)
  SmallInteger>>/ (SmallInt.st:277)
  UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (a String:1)
  nil

  st> 1.0 / 0.0
  Inf

> What I have personally no clue about is whether anyone ever uses
> float-valued NaNs for anything useful.

It allows delaying error checking to after the end of the computation.
Some errors that do not affect the result would be silently ignored;
most errors would result in a NaN.  Of course Smalltalk floats are so
slow that this might not even make a difference (unless you use FFI to
interface with external libraries).

With floating-point, I decided that the best course of action is "assume
the IEEE-754 people are always right" (and that means W. Kahan mostly).

Paolo