[squeak-dev] OpenCL

Josh Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Sat Jan 10 19:36:31 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 10.01.2009, at 11:01, Josh Gargus wrote:
>> As noted by John, Croquet uses fdlibm for bit-identical floating
>> point math.  Does anyone have a feeling for how difficult (or
>> impossible) it will be to achieve identical computation on
>> OpenCL-compliant devices?
>
> The numerical behavior of compliant OpenCL implementations is covered
> in section 7 of the OpenCL spec. In particular, table 7.1 gives the
> error bounds for the various operations. If I interpret that
> correctly, very few functions are guaranteed to behave bit-identical.

Oops, I was skimming by the time I read that part of the spec.  I saw
that the transcendental functions need not return identical results
(which was why I mentioned porting fdlibm), but I missed that even x/y
isn't precisely specified.

>>   For example, how difficult would it be to port, say, fdlibm, so
>> that trancedentals use the exact same code?  Any other show-stoppers
>> that might not occur to the naive mind :-)  ?
>
> Well OpenCL only requires single-precision, double-precision support
> is optional, whereas fdlibm is double-precision only.

I didn't know that.  Maybe that's what the "d" stands for in "fdlibm".

> I don't know how compliant current implementations actually are.

I think that there's only one implementation right now, and only
available to paid-up Apple developers.  Anyway, I'm more interested in
what the spec says than current conformance... implementations will
gradually become more compliant.

Thanks,
Josh