[squeak-dev] Mac OS X VM (Squeak 3.8.20beta1U) issue

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Tue Jan 13 16:24:44 UTC 2009

On 13-Jan-2009, at 6:33 AM, Alain Fischer wrote:

> I have just tried the new Mac OS X VM (Squeak 3.8.20beta1U) and have
> noted that
> when saving image located on an nfs mount, all the system is blocked
> probably on a network lock.
> When saving image located on a local disk all seem ok.
> When using Mac OS X VM (Squeak 3.8.18beta4U) and saving image
> located on an nfs mount, it's ok.
>
> My system:
> - Mac OS X 10.4.11
> - Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5

Depending on what the NFS server is running, you may simply have an
NFS locking problem.

I've found that with a NetBSD server, for example, it's best to simply
disable NFS locking because it simply doesn't work properly.  I do
this by doing the mount manually on OS X with the following command:

	mount -o -P,-i,tcp,nolock nfs_server_name:/nfs_fs /mount_point

There's probably a way to put the "nolock" option (and any others you
need) into some config file or control panel for the automounter, but
I hate the automounter so I don't ever use it.

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>