[squeak-dev] Re: Avoiding compiler inlining

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Tue Jan 13 19:03:00 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko a écrit :

>> Common! You don't like the system? Change It!
>> This is just 1 method attached.
>
> Heh.. you seem stumbled upon same things as i was :)
>
> well, if you writing own code so you have a total control whether you
> want inlining or not, you can simply write:
> [ ... ] perform: #whileTrue
>
> (x=y) perform: #ifTrue: with: [ ... ]
>
> :)
>
> but if you don't want inlining at all in a system (like me) - the only
> way is to change the compiler.

Basically, if you want both to coexist, just create a subclass of
MessageNode to redefine noteSpecialSelector:, then subclass all the
chain Compiler/Parser to use that MessageNode... And change
compilerClass where you desire.

If you just want to change the whole system, just change
noteSpecialSelector:. Of course, you will have to find other ways to
decently optimize the execution...

Nicolas