[squeak-dev] Re: Updating Universe

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Mon Jan 19 14:15:25 UTC 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 8:19 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>> Maybe someone can help me with this. I was trying to put up a
>> reconciled
>> version of Balloon3D into the 3.10 universe and I can't get it to
>> work.
>> Originally there were a bunch of Balloon3D packages registered in
>> universes.
>> Trying to remove them failed as I am not the listed author, so I
>> thought
>> I'll ignore that for the moment and just publish a new version that
>> people
>> can use for testing. No luck - apparently only the owner can post new
>> versions of the package. Okay, so I asked the listed owner if he
>> could
>> remove the packages for me so that I could simply publish the
>> package from
>> scratch. Which he did, but even so, I cannot publish a package by
>> the name
>> "Balloon3" - all I get is an error saying "Error: adding package
>> Balloon3D
>> failed (package is owned by another)".
>>
>> Any ideas? I'm kinda stuck here.
>
> Only Lex Spoon can control who owns what. I forward him this email.

Is there anyone who can take over hosting the universe server?  As
important as this area is to me, it doesn't pay the bills, and I have
ended up with too much else going on to really maintain the ongoing
universe servers.  I do take care of them eventually, but I'm lagging
1-3 weeks.

It's a simple server to run if you have an Internet-accessible host.
It runs out of a Squeak image, saves its database to disk, and needs
to write into a directory that is reachable by HTTP.  There's a DNS
name that would need to be repointed at your server.  The main
administrative issue is dealing with resetting ownership like in this
case, which currently requires opening some inspectors and hacking
around.  This would be a good task for anyone wanting experience with
Squeak networking, or for anyone who wants to help out the Squeak
community.

If anyone wants to take a nibble before committing, take a try at
running a completely new server, first.  See "Setting up a Local Mixin
Universe" at the bottom of this page:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3785

As a terminology note, Andreas, I'm not sure, but it sounds like you
updated the "development" universe, not the 3.10 one.  The "3.10"
universe is released and is intended to be an unchanging base of
future, non-kernel development:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-March/127273.html

-Lex