[squeak-dev] Re: [Io] Obama -- The Judas Goat

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sun Jan 25 20:36:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 19:38 +0100, Michael Rueger wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 7:07 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

> > If it is the result of a virus on some PC, then the owner of said machine
> > ought to feel ashamed for having an unsecured machine.
>
> or a Mac:
> http://blog.wired.com/sterling/2009/01/hey-apple-kids.html
>
> It might also be a botnet that harvests emails from mailing lists and
> then reuses them. A reason why we always had the squeakland mailing
> list in full moderation mode.
>
> Michael

I'm sure it is something of this sort, it sent messages 'from' at least
5 or 6 community members to many of the mailing list.  Moderating all
messages is a solution, and is the one I was (purportedly) using for the
announcements list (more about that in a separate thread).  I mentioned
elsewhere that if this sort of thing becomes a problem then any solution
will be an annoyance for someone and that includes total moderation.

First moderation is clearly an annoyance for the moderators, but
secondly it immediately slows down the response rate to questions and
other requests.  For a list of the volume of squeak-dev I frankly would
find complete moderation to be unacceptable and would vote for a change
to another solution where proper authentication is required, accepted,
and as non-onerous as possible.

Ken