[squeak-dev] [Offtopic] Self Language - selflanguage.org

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Sun Jan 25 21:54:54 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

Michael Haupt wrote:
> there is a Linux port; I don't know about the maintenance status
> (latest updates are from 2007): http://gliebe.de/self/

Unfortunately Harald's code is under a different licence (GPL) to the
main body of Self code, and was based on Self 4.1 and not the current
Self 4.3.  I believe it would take some work to get it to compile on GCC
3 or above.

>  > that there is a new website:
>  >
>  > http://selflanguage.org/
>
> What about http://research.sun.com/self/, then? In spite of the Self
> project's fate at Sun, that should still be the official site to link
> to, right?

Self is no longer an active project at Sun and all of the key people
have moved on, so the site will no longer be updated or maintained.  It
will still be useful for historical purposes (until and unless Sun turns
  it off) but new material will be at selflanguage.org.

>  > Please check it and Self out - and please refer to this site in
> future when
>  > blogging etc so that it is easier to find Self material online.
>
> I'm very interested in Self, and have been for some years. Could you
> tell us some more about your background? Is this your private project
> or have you taken over from Sun and Harald Gliebe officially? I.e., is
> it *another* Self site, or *the* Self site?

I'm just a collator and website guy at the moment.

As far as I know Sun is no longer interested and Harald doesn't seem to
have been working on Self for a number of years, though if either or
both were to come back that would obviously be wonderful.

The new Linux VM is almost entirely the work of David Ungar and is
integrated into the main Self code tree under the Self licence. I have
put the website together to be the official website with the permission
of Dave and Adam Spitz.

ie, as far as possible this is *the* Self site :)

> Best,
>
> Michael

Best,

Russell