[squeak-dev] Problems with FFI, SqueakDBX and MacOS

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jan 31 13:23:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:22:24AM -0200, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Hi people: I am asking for help with squeakDBX in mac. Yes, I am one of the
> developers, so ? heheheheh
>
> The thing is that Michael Atkisson is trying to getting working and have
> problems. As I know very little about mac, I ask for help.
>
> The problem is that FFI is not founding the openDBX library. The error is
> the famous "unable to find function address'".
>
> This is his enviorment:
>
> - Image: the 201 core, updated using the system update.
> - Squeak vm: 3.8.18beta3U.app
> - OS: Mac osx 10.5.6
>
> - FFI instaled from here:
> http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/cf58c358-46ee-465e-b6db-2740e9b32a53/files/InstallFFI3.st
>

> - DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib/:/usr/lib" .....
>
> - PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:other entries ....
>
> - Check the property SqueakPluginsBuiltInOrLocalOnly in Info.plist de la VM
> was in true but changed to false.
>
> - The ls of the directories of /usr/local/lib and /usr/lib are above.
>
> - We also try to put the openDBX library in the directory where is the VM or
> the image, but the same.
>
> - I read this: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5846
> Is this true ? I mean, FFI doesn't support dylib ? what can I do in this
> case ?

Hi Mariano,

I am not a Mac user, but I think that this wiki page has some
out of date information, and the last paragraph is a correction
to say that the Mac VM does suppert dylib. So it *should* work.

> Thanks for all the help you can give us.

Unfortunately I do not know enough to say what the problem is.
Hopefully others will give a better answer.

Dave