[squeak-dev] MCM update script

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jul 1 07:10:22 UTC 2009

Folks -

I've set up a little test for the suggested MCM update script via
Monticello. In order to try it out, do the following:
* Get a copy of http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/Squeak3.10-7159-basic.zip
* Fire up Monticello and point it at http://squeaksource.com/MCUpdateTest
* Load the latest MonticelloConfigurations package from there and ONLY
that package (the fixes included are a strict prerequisite for this to work)

Now run the following code:

	MCMcmUpdater updateFromRepositories: #(
		'http://squeaksource.com/MCUpdateTest'
	).

This will go to the repository and discover that there is
update-ar.1.mcm and update-ar.2.mcm. It will load the first, find that
there is nothing to do, move on to the second. The second has actually
re-ordered the Exceptions and the Morphic package to allow for loading
of a modification enabling SystemProgressMorph to change its label. It
then uses the configuration to update all the remaining listed packages
(and you can see the effect of the updated label right away).

If we'd find that at some point the order needs to be changed to be able
to load a particular modification, we would just issue an update.mcm
with the new order.

Hope this illustrates what I am imagining for an update mechanism using
Monticello.

Cheers,
   - Andreas