[squeak-dev] Squeak vision

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Jul 1 12:36:37 UTC 2009

Colin Putney wrote:
> ... (lots of good stuff snipped)
>
> What I'd really like to see is a linux-like model for Squeak. The SOB
> should be responsible for maintaining the VM, a minimal bootstrapping
> image, and a set of core libraries. These, in turn, should be made
> available to "distributions" like Pharo, Cuis, Squeakland. There would
> probably also be "invisible" distributions used by comercial entities.
> A lot of development work would happen in the distributions and get
> pushed back upstream, but significant projects like compiler changes,
> closure support, Spoon etc. could be organized by the SOB.

If this is achieved, Cuis is no longer needed as a distribution.
Instead, I suggest considering Cuis as the starting point for the
minimal image / core libraries.

> This isn't a new vision, of course, we've supposedly being trying to
> achieve this for a number of years. But we've been stymied by two
> things, I think. One is resistance to modularization. There are still
> folks who like the way things worked under Squeak Central and the
> would like to see a return to the monolithic image driven by the
> update stream. I think the Squeak universe is too big for that model
> to work anymore, but it's certainly possible that tightly focused
> distributions could be created that work that way.

Bert beautifully stated the Vision. This would be the Agenda. What you
say also asks for a clear statement from our leaders.

> ... (additional good stuff snipped)
>
> Colin

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich