[squeak-dev] Re: The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Douglas Brebner squeaklists at fang.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 1 14:38:38 UTC 2009

Dan Ingalls wrote:
> So this may be the time to reorganize everything, but it also looks to
> me like there is nothing in the way of making some *bold* progress
> right now, and it's likely that the wider perspective achieved in the
> process might inform an even better next system.

I admit to being bemused that even the most radical people are
essentially proposing something that's essentially a "modern system but
a bit nicer". Is anyone working on something as advanced over current
systems as the original Smalltalk was over its contemporaries?

> That said, don't forget there are good and committed people on both
> sides of this discussion, and your first priority should be how to
> maximize the community.  FWIW I recommend face-to-face discussion. And
> beer.

I feel the Pharo people deserve a beer for lighting a fire under the
Squeak community and getting people motivated :)