[squeak-dev] Squeak vision

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Wed Jul 1 17:33:21 UTC 2009

>> Mind you, I never implied that work should stop to improve Squeak in the
>> here-and-now (go back and read what I wrote). But for me every improvement
>> fits into a larger context.
>>

> I never implied that we should drop supporting an educational software
> for squeak (eToys & friends).
> Just tell me: who is currently maintains eToys in Squeak 3.10.2?
> If there's no-one, then wouldn't it be better to cut it out and
> integrate later as a separate module/package (whatever you think is
> fits for it) by people who cares?
> When i come to shop to buy a bread & taking it to the cash desk, is
> there anyone yelling at me, that i'm also need to pay for a bicycle,
> because bread is not selling as a separate product?
>
> Please understand me, i have nothing against eToys. But i treat eToys
> as an application on Squeak platform, not as a core part of it. And i
> thinking that it should play under a common rules as any other
> applications do: keep it as separate package.

Ditto, why is so hard for some to see that eToys isn't Squeak, it's an
app build on Squeak?  If eToys was a loadable/unloadable application, no
one would have any problem with it whatsoever.

>> For example, the Etoys team started 2 years ago to develop a product
>> that got shipped to 500 thousand users by now, soon it will be a million.
>> They did that with only a handful of developers working part-time. Sticking
>> to the base system version they started out with was the only option (as
>> everybody who ever did serious product development can relate to). Now that
>> the hot development phase is over, the changes can be folded back into
>> Squeak proper.

It doesn't need to be in Squeak at all, any version.  What it needs is
to be able to be loaded into Squeak like any other application.  There's
just no justification for it being in the core image; none.

> We can live under the same roof. And i'm all for it. Just don't turn
> every room in this house to be a child room.
> We need a room for guests, rest room, a working room, a garage room,
> and of course - a child room.

+10.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com