[squeak-dev] Squeak vision

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 18:03:06 UTC 2009

2009/7/1 Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com>:
>>> Mind you, I never implied that work should stop to improve Squeak in the
>>> here-and-now (go back and read what I wrote). But for me every
>>> improvement
>>> fits into a larger context.
>>>

>> I never implied that we should drop supporting an educational software
>> for squeak (eToys & friends).
>> Just tell me: who is currently maintains eToys in Squeak 3.10.2?
>> If there's no-one, then wouldn't it be better to cut it out and
>> integrate later as a separate module/package (whatever you think is
>> fits for it) by people who cares?
>> When i come to shop to buy a bread & taking it to the cash desk, is
>> there anyone yelling at me, that i'm also need to pay for a bicycle,
>> because bread is not selling as a separate product?
>>
>> Please understand me, i have nothing against eToys. But i treat eToys
>> as an application on Squeak platform, not as a core part of it. And i
>> thinking that it should play under a common rules as any other
>> applications do: keep it as separate package.
>
> Ditto, why is so hard for some to see that eToys isn't Squeak, it's an app
> build on Squeak?  If eToys was a loadable/unloadable application, no one
> would have any problem with it whatsoever.

A few more words to support that:
Isn't the part of Seaside success was that it is developed as a
standalone application?
Think, how hard it would be to port it on a different platform, if its
was tightly integrated into particular Squeak image.
And does it (being standalone) makes Seaside a less
great/useful/usable thing than eToys because of that?

Please note, i don't belong to Seaside camp and not trying to evangelize.
My interest in Seaside is almost equal to interest in eToys.
My true range of interests lying somewhere else :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.