[squeak-dev] A New Community Development Model

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 2 07:16:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Norbert Hartl<norbert at hartl.name> wrote:

> I still don't think that Monticello is the right way to go. It doesn't
> really manage changes. I can so easily overwrite a change that was
> applied before that it is hard to use. You can argue that you have to
> be careful anyway and that you can merge. You are right but still it
> is hard to use. Another thing is pharo. All of my contribution to the
> image I did in pharo because I never saw much a chance to do this in
> squeak. Now it can be doable. And doing something in pharo and not be
> able to do it in squeak at the same time strikes me really. Using
> always Monticello with full source compare will prevent applying fixes
> from one team to the other. The sources are just more different every
> day.

Convert the changes into a change set.  File the change set into each
system and then create a new Monticello file for each system.

Andreas said that the repository will hold MC files.  He didn't say
you couldn't use change sets on your own.  Or any other tool you want
to use.  Use whatever you want to get your work done, then post it in
a standard format.

-Ralph Johnson