[squeak-dev] Maintaining Etoys in Squeak

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Thu Jul 2 23:44:16 UTC 2009

On 2-Jul-09, at 2:49 PM, Ramon Leon wrote:

> Exactly the point, Etoys already forked.  Stop holding onto an old
> rotting version in Squeak that isn't used, take it out, it doesn't
> belong there. People who want eToys have their fork where it is
> maintained.

I think this is one of the key issues in the wider Squeak community
right now, made all the more difficult because the Etoys team has been
completely silent on the issue. It's clear that Etoys can be excised
from Squeak - it's been done a few times already. It's much more
difficult to separate out a working Etoys package that can be loaded
into a base image, particularly since the people that would be best
able to do that are busy with other things. But even if we put in the
effort and managed to create a loadable Etoys package, it's not clear
that it would ever get used.

So how about it, Etoys developers? Are you at all interested in
synchronizing with Squeak at some point in the future? If so, how do
you imagine it could be accomplished? Is there value in the Etoys code
that's part of Squeak 3.10? Would you be interested in having a
cleanly defined Etoys package?

I'm not asking for promises, here, just opinions. Even something vague
like "Syncronizing would be nice, but we have other priorities" or
"We're planning to sync, but we've got a deadline just now, please
bear with us" would make this debate much more productive.

Colin