[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak vision

Nikolay Suslov nsuslovi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 09:15:57 UTC 2009

Hello,

2009/7/3 Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ofset.org>

> Le mercredi 01 juillet 2009 à 22:50 -0300, Juan Vuletich a écrit :
>
> > Not at all. It means literally:
> > - It would be great to have Etoys as a package on top of Squeak (as Ian
> > says). (That's exactly what I tried to do when I was the Morphic Team
> > leader 4 or 5 years ago, btw.) However, saying that and not being able
> > to get it done is useless.
>

> Spending the effort on a new framework à-la Etoys could be easier.
> Also one could note that Etoys has been quite unsuccessful for large
> acceptance in school. Educators here don't like it, they found it too
> complicate and unwise to guide the user. I don't know why, but comparing
> to how Scratch dealt with building script could give a few hints. Not to
> mention the quality of the UI.

"The quality of the UI" ? )
Just to mention, the that Scratch has made a great step backward in UI
(comparable to Squeak/Etoys).
It disallows the use of Halos!
And instead of that, it offers an old-fashioned aka Windows/Mac/Linux static
UI, where any visual element couldn't be modified by user visually, and so
limits the most creative possibilities in UI interaction and experience.
The question of the quality of the UI is not in the menu bar, pop-up, color
and border decoration etc. but in conceptual aspects of end-user interaction
with it (like self-exploratory environment).
Want the children to be future "accounting officers"  or "door-mans" use
static, with limited creative possibilities UIs.
Want the children to be artists, and creators by themselves, don't limit
their freedom for that.
And the Halos implementation (existed in Etoys and current Squeak) is a one
big step into this direction!

Regards,
Nikolay