[squeak-dev] Squeakers & Etoys

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Fri Jul 3 22:18:57 UTC 2009

A few quick points to address points made in the earlier thread:

* As Bert said, we'd love to decouple Etoys from base Squeak, but
other things keep coming before this task, such as improving ease of
use or supporting OLPC.

* Yes, we'd love to bring all Squeakland improvements in the last two
years back into the newest Squeak and benefit from the newest Squeak
work.  Our fork was of necessity (OLPC scramble), not philosophy.

* We are actively seeking funds for both education and development.
One day we hope Squeak will benefit from our fundraising.

* Yes, yes, yes to a facelift for Squeak ... simplify menus, make the
visuals fresh, improve usability so that newcomers won't bounce.
You'll get no argument from me on this.  Someone need only claim the
task and gather support.

* Yes, unit tests throughout, yes refactoring, but my philosophy is
"if you're praying for potatoes, do it with a hoe in your hand."
The best commentary is adding some unit tests yourself.

And last, I'd like to underline Rita's point ....

* We'd love to have you all attend this year's Squeakfest (Aug
10,11,12 at UCLA).   You'll get to see educators, hear great
experiences, and see a class of children being taught.  We're also
holding a technical track for Squeak developers.

More than this, we'd gladly make room for a roundtable or two about
the very issues discussed here in squeak-dev.   Squeakfest is a great
place to get together and talk about Squeak, particularly since it's
being held near VPRI and will have many of the Squeak pioneers in
attendance.  Come help us make (new) history.

Registration and other information can be found here:

http://squeakfest.org/usa/

Take care,
Tim

--