[squeak-dev] Squeakers & Etoys

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Jul 3 23:12:58 UTC 2009

Timothy Falconer wrote:

> * As Bert said, we'd love to decouple Etoys from base Squeak, but
> other things keep coming before this task, such as improving ease of
> use or supporting OLPC.

Exactly! Several people have ripped out Etoys and parts of Morphic with
no problems, but then can't reload them. Given limited resources it is
best to just leave Etoys in for now. Edgar J. De Cleene said that it is
not as complicated as we are thinking, and in that case we can make this
a priority for Squeak 4.1.

> * We'd love to have you all attend this year's Squeakfest (Aug
> 10,11,12 at UCLA).   You'll get to see educators, hear great
> experiences, and see a class of children being taught.  We're also
> holding a technical track for Squeak developers.
>
> More than this, we'd gladly make room for a roundtable or two about
> the very issues discussed here in squeak-dev.   Squeakfest is a great
> place to get together and talk about Squeak, particularly since it's
> being held near VPRI and will have many of the Squeak pioneers in
> attendance.  Come help us make (new) history.

I'll be at the SqueakFest Brazil but won't be able to make it to LA this
year. Last week I got to meet a few Squeakers and many potential
Squeakers at the International Free Software Forum (FISL) at Porto
Alegre (where SqueakFest Brazil will be held). We should always take the
interests of people who are affected by our decisions but don't
participate in this mailing list into account.

-- Jecel