[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak Forks Popularity & Trends Estimate

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Mon Jul 6 07:48:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 03:56:59 +0200, Nevin Pratt wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Nevin -
>>
>> Now that's a -5 troll if I've ever seen one. Please, everyone let's not
>> get into pointless "oh, my god, the sky is falling" discussions.
>>
>> At Squeak.org we got our work carved out for us. Here is what we need
>> to concentrate on: Fix our processes, enable contributions, discuss
>> strategy. Part of that strategy discussion obviously needs to include
>> positioning but there is really no point in dwelling about who is the
>> most popular Squeak in town.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas
>>

> It's not intended to be a troll.  Right now we are running a large (to
> me) commercial website on Squeak/Seaside, but Seaside seems to be moving
> to Pharo.  Do I move to?  I've got a commercial interest in this, and
> anything I do involves costs.  I'd like to minimize those costs, if at
> all possible.

Hi Nevin,

when I have to base a project on an alternate framework, then there are at
least two things that I have to value: available resources and available
skills (both long term, of course). And I have done such decisions for
many decades (counting, 1, 2, 3, ...).

I have never based such a decision on popularity, even if that meant that
then we are the very first user of a framework.

Just another 0.05 CHF.

/Klaus

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein