[squeak-dev] Re: [Release] The role of Bob, Installer & Co.

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Jul 6 14:20:40 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Colin" == Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> writes:

Colin> I think you guys are at cross purposes here. Andreas is trying to
Colin> minimize the overhead of contributing to the squeak.org distribution of
Colin> Squeak. Keith is trying to maximize the value of each contribution
Colin> across all distributions. The technical details don't matter much if
Colin> you don't agree on the goals.

I personally suppport lowering the barrier to entry for contributions on the
"current" Squeak, even if it means making it more expensive to backport
necessary fixes to older Squeaks.  Actually, by personally, I can also mean
"with my SOB hat on".

This is the one of the problems with the Squeak core development processes
that the Pharo team "fixed".  It's time to mainline this fix, and get that
level of activity back into Squeak proper, especially with 4.0 and legal
oversite nearly here.

It's an interesting academic goal to make a delta system that can
automatically apply patches to backrev images.  But apparently, not a very
practical system for community contribution.  Time to move on.