[squeak-dev] Re: Re-liason proposal

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Jul 6 21:04:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 13:51 -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:
> On 6-Jul-09, at 10:49 AM, Ken Causey wrote:
> > Nicolas, I share you concerns.  It should be remembered that I was one
> > of the major proponents of switching from using the mailing list as
> > our
> > bug tracker to the use of a bug tracker and supported at least
> > temporarily settling on Mantis.
> >
> > But the reality is that it has been years now and very very few people
> > in this community make use of Mantis and no viable alternative has
> > appeared.  You are certainly one of the exceptions but you are in
> > small
> > company I'm afraid.
>
> Well for Sophie we made extensive use of Mantis, because it did work
> to collect bugs. Fixing them was another issue.
>
> But I think you all miss the point that you need to make it easy. Why
> can't I have a submit walkback to Mantis or
> to the Squeak Bug Reporting Czar? Or a menu item to submit a bug or
> feature request/whaterever on a menu somewhere.

I don't miss that point at all.  But you have to realize that I don't
see a problem with using Squeak as it is.  I've made a video showing how
to do this at least in once scenario.  Does this mean I don't think it
could be easier?  Absolutely not, but it does mean that I'm not at all
certain what 'easier' means in this context.

For years how I have dealt with a number of situations where someone
comes up and says the equivalent of 'Mantis sucks'.  And so I then try
to engage them in a conversation designed at my understanding of what
about Mantis sucks in their opinion and how it could be improved.  Not a
single time have a been able to get a concrete proposal or explanation.

In this case you make a couple of suggestions.  I grant you that, but
actually implementing them requires significantly more fleshing out of
the proposals.

Ken