[squeak-dev] Bug reporting (was Re-liason proposal)

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 05:15:40 UTC 2009

2009/7/7 Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>:
> Something like Firefox have to report crashes? This can be doable I
> suppose and we'd collect at least statistically the problems Squeak
> users have. But this need to go to a separate database, not to the
> Mantis. So, Mozilla approach is to be studied a bit here ...
>
> Next step would then be a more advanced reporting of a bug, from someone
> who is skilled enough to describe what happened, why, where probably lie
> the problem etc. This would go to Mantis directly.
>
> Again such "one-click" reporting a bug would certainly be a big step
> forward, current Mantis is just hard to grasp for newcomers, which is
> the reason people avoid it, I'm sure. At least such is my experience
> with it so far.

There are probably important differences for each approach: reporting
walkback is about reporting errors shown by the debugger while Firefox
reports crashes from the application. The latter would translate as
reporting crashes from the VM. Both could be useful.

This would be a real benefit to the community, statistics and
information about errors automatically reported (or using a push
button). How cool is that. In a deployment scenario, this could be
redirected to another server (for the project or a company's server)
and collect the data for a better support and maintenance. I like
that.

Regards,
Ian.

--