[squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jul 8 17:50:40 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> If I'd have to guess, then the sluggishness of OB is a major hindrance in
>> its acceptance. As you say, since the browsers are so similar there is
>> really little reason to choose the slow one ;-)
>
> Well, i hope that will be fixed eventually by developers.

You mean by the users of the browser or by the OB core developers? If
the former, I find that somewhat unlikely. OB appears to be much more
complex than the regular browser; I was trying to fix the annoying bug
with the context menu blowing up but the structure was sort of a jungle
and trying to navigate that with a browser that slow turned out to
exceed my patience by a long shot ;-)

> From other side, i like a new stuff , added to OB , like icons, tests
> integration (so you can run test methods by just clicking on method in
> method pane) and many others.

I like some of it too. The tests integration is definitely helpful for
example.

Cheers,
   - Andreas