[squeak-dev] Re: need help building one-click squeak app for Windows

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jul 9 05:18:03 UTC 2009

Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> last month Andreas wrote:
>> Would you mind writing this up in html form and put it somewhere so that
>> I can link it from squeakvm.org? (or alternatively just send me an html
>> version and I'll put it there)
>
> OK, its at least on my todo list now. I will send it to you as soon
> as I have one.

Thanks, that'll be hugely helpful.

>> $LOCALAPPDATA is a *terrible* location if you need
>> people to find it. Put it under My Documents\<app name> instead.
>> This is a location that people can find easily
>
> At least it is safe for vista and it's just a default.
> Maybe we have to separate the image from the VM in the install then.
> Have to think about it.

One thing that one could do (and would be very cool) is to write a
little shell extension that presents only the image files in a directory
and link that to the start menu. In this case the installer would
register this extension and when you save an image in that location it
would show up in the Windows start menu. In other words, you'd go to
Start>>All Programs>>Squeak>>Images and then have a menu full of images
in this location. Any takers?

(alternatively, a poor man's approach to this would be to add a "Browse
Images" link to the startup menu that just takes you to that location)

> The whole discussion "Squeak vs. Pharo vs. Cuis vs. ..." is annoying.

Point taken.

> But I totally dislike statements about Pharo people like
> "arogant twats" (see [1]) since many of them are part of both
> communities. Squeak can profit from Pharo and vice versa.

Agreed. Statements like these are not acceptable. But it really does go
both ways, you know. Someone should let Mr. Pharo know that learning how
to express oneself like an adult goes a long, long way in creating some
goodwill. Just go to the first post of that "just a little note" thread
which spilled over here to see what I mean. From my perspective
mud-slinging like that ("all the mails in Squeak-dev [...] about us been
assholes, destructors") is every bit as unacceptable and damaging and
it's not coming from some random member of that community but rather all
the way from the top. So let's *all* try to avoid insults in particular
those of us who are in exposed positions in our respective communities.
Thank you for listening ;-)

> I also like Cuis but I fear that it may fade away due to the lack of
> time when it does not get widely accepted.
> But this is just my impression. Maybe it can become the base for a
> better Squeak...

My hope is to fully integrate it. It's one of the smallest, definitely
the fastest, and probably the best structured kernel that have been
built. Juan spent a lot of time on it and it shows. If we could use that
  (or some derivative/merger) as the basis for a future release we'd
move a major step forward.

> The REALLY HOT topic I currently see is how to attract people so they
> can participate and we ALL can move forward.

So true. A killer app, or some other highly "in" topic. We should use
images for cloud computing; this would be such an obvious thing to do...

> Yes - but Smalltalk is known for its productivity and ease of use.
> So we should make it easy accessible even when that
> means to act like a typical windows app/programming language in the
> first place. People have expectations and the first impression counts.

You won't see me argue with that!

Cheers,
   - Andreas