[squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Thu Jul 9 09:22:59 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:

> I tried OB on
> Pharo when I was looking into some FFI troubles. The main noticable
> difference was *incredible* sluggishness. Every single action was greeted
> with a 2-5 seconds pause. I kid you not. Granted, my computer isn't exactly
> the fastest, but those were all actions where with the regular Squeak
> browser I feel no noticable delay whatsoever.

I used a 2 GHz Intel processor, and got a delay of around a second
every time I opened a new browser window in pharo-dev 0.1.   (I used
the OB clones of the standard browsers - not any of the new browsers
or undocumented new features.  Also, I don't know if other images
perform better.)

To satisfy my curiosity, could someone point me to the results of any
code profiling done on this issue?