[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak vision

David Goehrig dave at nexttolast.com
Tue Jul 14 02:01:53 UTC 2009

On Jul 13, 2009, at 9:01 PM, osp at aloha.com wrote:

> My point is that commercial software, and commercial textbooks,
> drive up
> the cost of education. The success of the open-source software
> movement
> serves as a model for how we ought to be producing educational
> materials. I see Squeak at the foundation of that solution.

That's nice and all but there are those of us who sell our educational
software so that we may buy food and pay our mortgages.  Some times it
doesn't work to be totally open and it shuts you out of some markets.
Some SUNY schools won't allow their profs to run open source software
for example.

I for one would find being able to sell my software and choose how it
is accessible to be a great idea. For example, you could say sell a
text book that contained full source listings in an appendix, but
close the image from future development to prevent students from
cheating on tests or experiments contained in the image.

One size philosophy does not fit all.

Dave

-=-=- dave at nexttolast.com -=-=-