[squeak-dev] Keith Hodges

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 03:09:56 UTC 2009

2009/7/14 Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>:
>> Would you be so kind to trash Andreas in private?
> I am pointing out that this way of working is not what we need. Andreas
> is not going to listen to me in private or in public. This process is
> locking the future direction of squeak in to the decisions that Andreas
> is making now.

You're also locking everybody in your process. It feels like mummy and
daddy arguing. Which one are you?

> This requires words that people understand, and so I used them.
>>  Stop wasting our
>> valuable time with your ever lasting bitter comments.
> Like I said no bitter comments here, that's your assumption.

I am telling you. Others did tell you. Are you gonna get the hint?

> The prima donna is the one making all the decisions, without any concern
> for the opinions of anyone else.

This one seems to make sense. HOWEVER, I believe that Andreas is
trying to inject energy into Squeak to restart the engine and
stimulate the community. And if the community is contributing, you're
not alone anymore in your crusade.

> Not at all. It is my concern that contributions to trunk, for example,
> are wasted by default. How does a fix added to trunk help the cobalt
> fork? How does it help my production images? etc etc.

I've understood that inter-polarity has taken an important part of the
current direction. This however should not hinder the immediate
potential of Squeak nor its contributions. You seem to be obsessed by
forks. How about being obsessed by Squeak? I have suggested a
migration tool. You said nothing about it.

> So is uploading a change set to mantis. That is easy too, and that
> process has been in place for some years.

It's awkward. It is my feedback to you and you will have to accept it.
You might disagree and you're entitle to it. Nevertheless, I did
contribute a little bit to Squeak Community Repositories and never to
mantis. Get the hint?

>> Your attitude stinks. Really.
>>
> How does it stink? What is wrong with pointing out the way a process is?

Keep your extra bitter comments for yourself and it should be fine. :)

> You are band new to this list, I haven't seen you before last week, with
> respect I dont think you know anything of the difficulties of delivering
> and maintaining a project using squeak.

I have been reading Squeak mailing list since 2001.

> Andreas forked squeak years ago, he has his own fork, croquet/qwaq. If
> he was so clever he would have been able to keep his fork up to date
> with changes in 3.9 and 3.10, but it didn't work qwaq, like most forks
> is still based upon 3.8.

Andreas does what he wants on his own time. He is however elected
member of the SOB. To the light of your saying, I guess some people
might vote against his reelection. That's call democratic process.

> So given a vote between Andreas' approach and simply using Pharo as the
> future of squeak you might as well pick Pharo, because philosophically I
> can't see anything to choose between them.

I am not ready to leave ship. But thank you for the pointer.

> Keith

Keith, I do feel that you are fighting the wrong battle and you're
being emotional about it. This is really not going to end well. Can
you stop stirring people attention in a negative way, yes or no? I
think that your opinion matters because it can bring counterbalance
and further ideas. You're clearly knowledgeable in what you do. Can we
focus on that?

Ian.

--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/