[squeak-dev] Re: Cross fork development model

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 15:53:09 UTC 2009

2009/7/15 Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org>:
> Ramon Leon wrote:

>>> So yet again we end up with more forks than when we started with, and
>>> lots of work that has already been done is going to go to waste.
>>>

>> And?  Everyone has a right to fork, it's what they do when they're
>> dissatisfied with the way things currently work.  You seem to have
>> this presumption that you're right and everyone else is wrong or
>> misinformed.  Have you considered that perhaps you're wrong?  I'm not
>> saying you are, I'm just saying you come across as if that's just an
>> impossibility.
>>
>> You're trying to wrangle all the forks into cooperation with each
>> other by imposing a process on them.  If all those people were good at
>> collaborating with each other, they probably wouldn't have forked in
>> the first place.  Perhaps they have enough work in their own projects
>> that they don't have the extra time to follow your process because
>> sharing everything they do in a way compatible with other forks is not
>> their primary goal.
>>

> Agreed. Forks have their reasons to exist. They are not a bad thing. And if
> you believe you have the magic recipe to join them, you're wrong. Each fork
> might have different reasons. For example, it looks like Pharo exists
> because of people issues, not technical. So most likely, they will not want
> to join back with Squeak, no matter what process we have. As another
> example, Cuis, my own fork exists because I want to clean the Squeak kernel.
> So, it can _not_ use the Squeak kernel! Before designing the whole process
> after the idea of joining forks, we should ask "Do forks want to join?" "Do
> forks want to adopt this process and tools?"

My initial question was not whether to un-fork.
It was how to re-use as much as possible code across forks (like a
kernel improvment or a bugfix).
It's rather a question of using ad hoc tools, and yes, I wish the
discussion took a more technical angle on some detailed examples.

Maybe some simple Installer snippets can help like:
Installer squeakTrunk applyDeltasVsAncestorOf: 'Kernel-ar.185'.

Nicolas