[squeak-dev] children (was: Fast bytecode loader)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Jul 17 03:00:36 UTC 2009

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:

> But to have millions of kids using XO laptops it is necessary to supply
> a product that has commercial appeal. Moreover in 3rd world countries
> where the political discourse behind money employed in buying and
> distributing these PCs is based on the fact that children will be
> enabled to gain technical skills that will allow them to leave the
> "prison of poverty".

Those interested in seeing some of these millions of children using
Etoys on their XO machines should come to Porto Alegre (Brazil) next
week:

http://squeakfest.org/

Note that one of the technical requirements in last December's tender to
buy 150 thousand laptops by Brazil's Education Ministry was that the
machine should run Squeak. So we can afford to be optimistic...

-- Jecel