[squeak-dev] Another idea

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jul 17 03:07:40 UTC 2009

Folks -

I wasn't participating much in discussions yesterday since I really
wanted to get the closure bootstrap done. But maybe that was a good
thing. One thing that I realized reading through the discussion is that
it appears that some people are concerned what trunk development means
for externally maintained packages. That is certainly a valid concern.

However, I think it can be addressed straightforwardly, and maybe that's
a basis for a compromise in going forward. How about this:

Let's assume that any package that is "claimed" by an external
maintainer, any changes done in trunk are guaranteed to be merged back
into the maintainer's repository within a reasonable time frame (say,
within one week). This would ensure that the version in trunk is never
out of date with the master version for more than a week.

This way, people can choose whether to be merely a consumer of that
package (i.e., load the latest version of that package or use Bob to
build an image of particular package versions) or whether they'd like to
work together on a combination of packages via the trunk.

As a consequence, nobody is forced into a model that they don't feel fit
for, they can choose which model of development is right for them. In
the end, we all can take advantage of progress happening in various
areas and move Squeak forward together.

Cheers,
   - Andreas