[squeak-dev] Re: Nebraska-edc.15 in trunk unloadable

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Jul 18 04:54:12 UTC 2009

Ken Causey wrote:
> I'm not sure of the behavior of the updates process.  Is it possible
> that if I have neither .14 or .15 that in fact it doesn't merge 14 and
> then 15 but simply 15?  Perhaps it is in fact irrelevant.

Since Monticello stores an entire snapshot you really only need to load
the latest version since it will contain all the code that should be in
this package.

Intermediate stages are only required when there are dependency between
package versions that cannot be skipped over and just all loaded
together; for example the closure bootstrap heavily depends on a set of
prerequiste packages loaded together before it goes on to the next set
of packages. Basically, every update.mcm says "you must have loaded this
set of package versions before it is safe to load the next round of stuff".

And at the end of the process, when all of the configurations that list
explicit versions have been processed, the updater simply updates all
versions of packages listed in the last configuration to the highest
version number in the repository.

 > P.S. One thing the new update stream does appear to lack compared to the
 > old update stream is the ability to easily update only up to a certain
 > update number.  Is there some way that could be implemented?  Clearly
 > the trunk is not the simplistic linear thing the old update stream was.

We can do that and it's certainly worth considering. All it would take
is to not do the last part of the above description, i.e., do not update
beyond what is listed in the last configuration.

The consequence of the approach would be that once you've pushed a
change and it works you need to do an additional step and update the
configuration to include that package. If people feel it would be safer
to work that way, it would require only a tiny modification of the
script, at the cost of requiring two steps before a change really
reaches everyone who updates.

Comments? Preferences? Opinions?

Cheers,
  - Andreas