[squeak-dev] Closures in Trunk

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 22:37:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Folks -
>
> As promised I spent some time to get closures into the trunk. This means
> that you *must* use closure-enabled VMs in order to be able to stay current.
> Current closure-enabled VMs can be obtained here:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.11.3-bin.zip (win)
> ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/Squeak%204.1.1beta2U.app.zip  (mac)
> http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15.1-linux.tz (linux)
>
> In addition, I have done a round of (automatic) replacing underscores with
> colon-equals to simplify diffing between Croquet/Cobalt/Pharo and Squeak.
> Nicolas - if you want to try the diff again, it should make a *lot* more
> sense now.
>
> Finally, since the updates will take quite a while, I've prepared an image
> that is up-to-date with the trunk as of today. You can download it from
> here:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak3.10.2-trunk.zip

What is the status of the "NewCompiler" with regard to this new closure VM?
Will it still work if it ignores the new bytecodes?

I understand that Eliot modified the "old compiler". I'm going to make
compiler modifications over the next year or two for my own project, and I'd
prefer working on the NewCompiler.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/