[squeak-dev] Nebraska Connectivity

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Jul 20 17:01:25 UTC 2009

At Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:20 -1000,
Gary Dunn wrote:

> I have been reading about Nebraska Server and comparing it to activity sharing in Sugar. The contexts I am planning for are A) students learning Squeak on everyday laptops in a small classroom with WiFi, and B) home schoolers working at home connected to the Internet. Assume for now A and B are the same group.
>
> >From what I have read, Nebraska will work for A but is not well suited to B. Sugar's activity sharing will work in both situations, except it expects to find a school server (or at least a Jabber server). Regardless, Sugar's activity sharing takes place outside of EToys and we will not be using Sugar.
>
> Does anyone have any experience using Nebraska across the Internet? As a group? Person to person?

  At one time, three guys (one in Tokyo, one in Osaka, and one in Los
Angeles) used to do stuff over Nebraska every day as a "shared white
board" and it worked ok, if you know what not to do on a slow
connection.

  One host has to have an open port and the others have to know how to
connect.

  Alan gave a few real talk over it remotely.

-- Yoshiki