[squeak-dev] Failing tests in Trunk (was: Closures in Trunk)

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 22:11:12 UTC 2009

2009/7/23 Bernhard Pieber <bernhard at pieber.com>:
> Am 19.07.2009 um 08:16 schrieb Andreas Raab:
>>
>> Finally, since the updates will take quite a while, I've prepared an image
>> that is up-to-date with the trunk as of today. You can download it from
>> here:
>>
>> http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak3.10.2-trunk.zip
>
> Thanks, Andreas!
>
> I have downloaded the new image, loaded the code updates and then ran the
> tests. On a Mac with the VM 4.1.1beta2U I get 10 failures and 22 errors.
> Most of the errors are BlockClosureTests and ClosureCompilerTests. Is that
> to be expected or is it just me somehow?

No, the closure changes are not 100% polished, this is the same in Pharo.

> I note that in 3.10.2 there was only 1 failure on the Mac at least, not
> quite but almost green. This leads me to another question about the New
> Community Development Model: Should there be a rule that no commit to the
> trunk is allowed to introduce new failures or errors? I think that rule
> would be good. What do others think?

I have 3 remarks:
1) For some valuable big changes like closure, I think we should
tolerate a few failures/errors on minor API. It can be a way to
accelerate resolution of these failures/errors (that did not really
happen here because this is very technical).
2) Publishing some new tests might lead to new failure/error reports
for old bugs, so the rule should rather be: no regression.
3) Running all tests is quite long: this is a work for an automaton...