[squeak-dev] Minimal window manager

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Wed Jul 29 08:59:57 UTC 2009

Today it occurred to me that Alan Kay intended Squeak to be UI for the
Dynabook. I run Squeak on Gnome on FreeBSD, so just for fun I disabled
Gnome and started a plain X session using twm, and from an xterm I
launched Squeak. It looked just like it does in Gnome. The only
difference I detected in this simple test was that pop-up menus opened
slower.

Has anyone tried running Squeak from X without a window manager per se?
I could test it by writing a .xinitrc file but I don't know how badly
this could turn out.

If it turns out that Squeak needs a window manager, which of the simple
window managers work well?

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com