[squeak-dev] Minimal window manager

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Thu Jul 30 21:47:00 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 29 Jul 2009 15:04:04 K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 Jul 2009 2:29:57 pm Gary Dunn wrote:
>> Has anyone tried running Squeak from X without a window manager per se?
>
> Yes. I once launched Squeak from a single user console on a machine that
> had only 64MB RAM! Squeak can be run from within a desktop, directly from X
> (use -fullscreen), within a browser (using npsqueak.so plugin) or directly
> from the console (-vm-display-fbdev). Make sure you env settings and
> permissions are setup correctly. E.g.
>
>  $ startx /usr/local/bin/squeak -vm-display-X11 -swapbtn ~/squeak.image -- :1
>
>  $ squeak -vm-display-fbdev ~/squeak.image
>
> I am not sure how much these modes are supported, though.
>
> Subbu

Thanks to everyone who replied. On FreeBSD 7.1 the best I could get was Squeak without a window manager and a World desktop that occupied about 80% of the screen.

    o -fullscreen option is documented bwt not recognized.

    o fbdev is not found, possibly unique to Linux.

Question: why did eveyone specify device :1 when the default is :0? I got the Same results
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
http://openslate.net/