[squeak-dev] [FIX] MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>something

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 17 11:55:24 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

we have all seen numerous questions from newbies like this:

On 17.06.2009, at 13:25, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 17.06.2009, at 12:56, Tim Patti wrote:
>> I'm getting a debug window with MessageNotUnderstood:
>> UndefinedObject>>binary.
>
> Which tells you that "fileHandle" is nil.

IMHO it would help if we special-cased the MNU text for a nil
receiver. In that case, I propose the message should read

	MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "something" is nil

which might point beginners to the actual cause.

Attaching proposed fix.

- Bert -