[squeak-dev] Question about serial port communication

Víctor C. T. victorct83 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 14:37:53 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm very new in the world of SmallTalk, so I hope you can help me... I'm
working on an application that uploads sketches to an Arduino's board
directly without its software (only uploading the .hex file). First of all I
found a code based in java that works perfectly and now I'm "translating"
into ST.

The problem is: Arduino's responses with a particular bytecode when it
receives data (at least that's how works the java-based code), with values
0x14 or 0x10. Before send the data block to the board, the program sends a *
hello* bytecode for check responsivity, which values 0x30 and 0x20. The
problem is that the board doesn't recognize the *hello* bytes, because it
doesn't response to it. I made something like this (sorry but I don't have
the code at this moment):

*sendHello:* SerialPort2
*| ba |*
ba := ByteArray new: 2.
ba at: 1 put: 16r30.
ba at: 1 put: 16r20.
SerialPort2 nextPutAll: ba.

SerialPort2 is a class that I imported from Scratch source code. The port is
open correctly, I can see how the board receives data because the RX led
blinks, but TX doesn't. I tried several ways to do this but anything worked.
If anyone who's worked with Arduino knows what I'm doing wrong, tell me
please. I will send the code and more detailed information if needed.

Sorry for my bad english,

Thanks

--
Víctor