[squeak-dev] Re: The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 17:28:50 UTC 2009

2009/6/28 Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com>:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:05:30 +0200, Ian Trudel wrote:
>
>> I like your ideas, Casimiro. And a lot of boring work, as you would
>> call, but I call it maintenance, has to be done. Internationalization
>> is among the point that prevents me to use Squeak.
>
> Ian, would it be possible you send me a list of what things _you_ need for
> internationalization. That would be very interesting in a current project.

For Seaside #leadingChar is a PITA because there is no way of knowing
the language of the content the user entered. And it's a rampant
layering violation. And it probably contributes to WideStrings being
so slow. And it's not portable. And ....

And don't get me "but we need it for fonts". The only way to get nice
fonts in Squeak is to avoid it and do it in C with char*.

Cheers
Philippe