[squeak-dev] Re: The future of Squeak & Pharo

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sun Jun 28 19:34:20 UTC 2009

Ian Trudel pravi:

> Göran Krampe:

>> Not sure what you mean there.
>
> Squeak is hardly approachable to newcomers (either seasoned
> programmers or simple new ones). Gaining popularity explicitly means
> to have newcomers. It's not possible if they can't understand what's
> going on.
>
>> Personally I like the colors. I also don't equal "normal" with
>> "professional". But such is taste!
>
> We could certainly debate on tastes but it's perfectly fine that you
> like the current colour scheme. However, you're not alone using Squeak
> and we have to consider other tastes.

> I just mean something approachable (normal look-and-feel), where
> people will feel comfortable from the day they start using Squeak
> through every other following days.

> A professional look-and-feel is probably more about simplicity and
> usability. It doesn't need to have colours by truck load. Something
> that one can spend countless hours looking at without eyes popping out
> of their sockets. And it's about everything... for example, Squeak has
> these childish window buttons and so on... it's NOT that cool, far
> from being trendy. Why would we get stubborn to keep such things? It
> looks like a toy, Squeak sometimes feels like a toy. When I squeeze
> Squeak, it squeaks. Just saying... =)

I completely agree with Ian here. If Squeak wants to be considered for
serious development, but also to attract developers from other
communities and newcomers, it must have the look&feel which is close to
theirs. This not mean that it must be the same, no, just that it follows
the established look&feel standards elsewhere.

Current Squeak is far away from that, while Pharo is marching well into
a more standard look&feel direction. This is actually one of main
reasons I'm attracted to Pharo. Also because they listen to such proposals!

But this don't mean that EToys can stay more colorful, no, let it be on
top of that more "traditionally professional" base. Why to mix two so
different audiences into one image?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek