[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 19:36:29 UTC 2009

Em 28-06-2009 15:10, Ian Trudel escreveu:
> (...)
>> I generally do not agree with those that think "corporate support" or "paid
>> work" is the solution. Sorry, I just don't.
>>
>> I don't want a company deciding what happens with Squeak. Definitely not.
>>

> Göran, I do understand your concern about this. We should remember
> that there is no ultimate solution. I think his idea was rather about
> integrating this as part of a solution. Nothing to do with "a company
> deciding on Squeak". Furthermore, ignoring companies and commercial
> activities is also not a solution at all.
>
> There is a huge difference between offering support to companies (and
> asking support from them) and having them running Squeak Oversight
> Board. I think we all agree the latter is undesirable and should not
> happen.
>
> Ian.

I would like to add that currently much of Linux development has
corporate support. Without that linux would be dead or would be in the
same instance as, let's say, FreeBSD. That doesn't mean that
corporations are telling which direction linux must follow. Linux is
only the most obvious example.

But I don't like to look at Squeak only as a toy platform that some MSc
and PhD students can use to develop their works. I guess that people
who's supporting their packages since old releases will agree with me.
Besides, most people in the smalltalk communities ask the question: why
Java did it while smalltalk didn't? And the answers are all around: Java
had documentation from day 0. Java was really cross platform from day 0.
Java was highly standardized. Java didn't oversaw day to day
requirements as internationalization and comprehensive file and network
support... And now the list of languages that are doing while smalltalk
is spinning around is growing with Python, Ruby and other
languages/environments. And I feel dismay when I see that even
traditional smalltalk distributions (like Cincom VW) are loosing spin.

In short: money is not a bad thing. It allows development. Even when we
are in academic environments money help to justify research and
development projects. Want another example? SWI-Prolog.

But lack of money can be a problem. How many bright smalltalk
researchers cannot work as much as they need/want to because they're
involved in all sort of "more important, more immediate" projects? How
many people left smalltalk development (not only squeak) to work in
"more profitable areas"? Even people as Mr. Ungar and Mr. Kay and others
had to stop/reduce participating strongly in Squeak committee due to
other professional duties. That signs that for their current employers
Squeak is not important enough to justify time employed in deciding its
present and future.

When I was younger, working at university, I had this prejudice against
money and "corporate support" and believed strongly in the obligation of
State to financially support projects that would never ever pay
themselves. That the "market" was controlled by a bunch of unlettered
execs refractory to changes. Life proved that this prejudice didn't make
me any good.

CdAB