[squeak-dev] I18-23N [was: The future of Squeak & Pharo ... etc]

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 19:49:07 UTC 2009

2009/6/28 Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com>:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:35:45 +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:

>>> Ian, would it be possible you send me a list of what things _you_ need
>>> for
>>> internationalization. That would be very interesting in a current
>>> project.
>>
>> Oh, I forgot the usual things. Unicode normalization, collators, date,
>> number and currency formatting, unicode regexes.
>
> Don't get me wrong now: I know you're talking about your framework,

No, not at all. These are more a 21st century programming language
"features" that just "have to be there".

> can you
> point me to more specific locations (release/version, class name, method
> name) or so?

No. AFAIK some of this stuff in on the roadmap for VW 7.7.

http://site.icu-project.org/
This is what most PHP frameworks use these days and you feel kinda 2nd
class compared to them if you don't provide it.

>> Basically what ICU does.
>
> Assume that some other project has something new (in a recent .image on a
> Squeak VM).

Not that I know of.

> How can your stuff be tested with it? Would it be necessary to refactor your
> app, or can a project man like me do this and that, test this and that (!) ?

There isn't any of the stuff. That's just some of the things that I
consider missing in Squeak in the l10n area.

Cheers
Philippe