[squeak-dev] Re: Sq font rendering [was: The future of Squeak & Pharo ... etc]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sun Jun 28 19:50:50 UTC 2009

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:21:28 +0200, Bernhard Pieber wrote:

> Hey, this looks great!

:)

> Care to explain more about what you are working on? What are your goals?
> I really like the fact that it is loadable into three of the forks. ;-)

three of the forks: a "simple" side effect by the very developer who's
responsible for the rendering part, he prefers subclassing of existing
Smalltalk libs.

BTW: Cuis has no WideString but will probably be the fastest of the three.

goals: render _every_ glyph that is in _any_ modern (Unicode) platform
font; make fonts offline and online usable, especially on small devices if
needed, on demand (by end user).

working on: three parts 1) fonts/glyphs without new plugins/VM support; 2)
glyphs "char" map visualization (for end user support); 3) glyph
composition (for complicated scripts which need more than one glyph per
"character" location).

Have an application in mind which we can add for doing tests?

/Klaus

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein