[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 23:24:43 UTC 2009

> 2009/6/29 Bernhard Pieber <bernhard at pieber.com>:
>> Am 28.06.2009 um 23:09 schrieb Igor Stasenko
>>
>> Note, that I am not saying that the kitchen sink image could or should not
>> be put together from a small image and nicely modularized packages. What I
>> am saying is that if you clean up only the base image you will never be able
>> to put together the full image because I guess many of the maintainers will
>> not bother to repair stuff others broke. Worse yet, they probably will not
>> bother anymore to create more cool stuff.
>> See, I can follow your reasoning. And it sounds very convincing. Therefore,
>> I am not blaming anyone for going that route. I am totally sure everyone had
>> only the best intentions. Nevertheless I am totally convinced it was a
>> really bad idea and it still is, because that way you lose contributions and
>> contributors.

I will answer on this separately.
Obviously people stop contributing because of failure of
communication/development model.
Iff we would have a separate modules, communicating with each other on
well defined protocols, then none of the above problems, which you
listed is taking place, or more correct to say - they are moving into
a different plane.
People will communicate with each other, and if someone will change
the interfaces towards improving the overall design, then i don't see
the reasons why others who using it, will stop doing own stuff and run
away.

An opposite, when everyone depends on a single, alma-mater image , any
radical changes in it will lead to major break down in multiple
projects/development areas. Because everyone depends on a single
entity - bloated image, instead of being dependant on a much smaller,
flexible, vibrant & easily adoptable modules.

You can yell on a list: who is maintainer of kernel? who is maintainer
of morphic? who is maintainer of squeak?
None. It is impossible to maintain such a big code base by a single
person. We need to split responsibilities, establish a new
development/communication model. Only then you can get the answers in
a minutes, whether your package will work with X.Y.Z image/module or
not, and what you need to make it working.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.