[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Mon Jun 29 12:04:20 UTC 2009

2009/6/29 Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>

> Juan Vuletich pravi:
>
> > I don't agree with this at all. The biggest problems Cuis and Pharo are
> > trying to fix are the endless discussions, the weak leadership and the
> > impossibility to build consensus in fundamental decisions.
>
> I agree completelly!

Me too.  The fact is that committee and consensus based process, while it
can work, will always be much slower and often unsatisfactory to a large
percentage of the community (until our intellects are all intimately coupled
(like the Borg), I suspect this will remain the case).  I see no reason to
merge squeak with pharo, cuis or eToys.  These forks of squeak are
successful in large part because they forked from the main squeak.  They are
driven by people that have a very specific vision of what they want and
there happen to be other people that believe in that same vision and
contribute.  They don't have to seek approval or build any sort of consensus
from any committee.  They alone get to decide to what degree they listen to
their own community.

- Stephen