[squeak-dev] Re: Discussing commit models (Re: Re: Compatibility (was some other subject...))

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 18:33:33 UTC 2009

2009/6/29 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Göran Krampe wrote:
>>
>> Pharo has a world writable MC inbox. And they have "sworn" to react
>> quickly and review incoming stuff. That is of course a classical
>> "harvesting" setup, and we have had trouble with such a bottleneck earlier -
>> so I am not sure I advocate it, but if you have man power to do the
>> integration, it works.
>
> This may sound a bit cynical in the context of what you were originally
> writing, but since we were just complaining about the reduced number of
> contributions perhaps that makes the model more feasible again?
>
>> Some of us believe that a simple "commit bit" might be a way forward,
>> meaning that if we (whoever "we" is) decide to trust a developer we simply
>> give that developer the right to commit straight to the trunk. No review, no
>> harvester, no inbox. It is trunk after all, sure, it can break, so what?
>> That is what unit tests and stable/unstable is for.
>
> I would certainly be willing to give that a try. How about something like
> using source.squeakfoundation.org with the board being admins for the
> project and people who are granted commit rights get dev status?
>
>> But the fact remains, it must be TRIVIALLY easy to commit a quick fix.
>> Most quick fixes come about when someone is busy, busy doing work - and if
>> it isn't easy to "fire off" a fix, then it will not be done because the work
>> comes first.
>
> I completely agree. I'm in the very same situation often enough.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

You mean current process like:
- check whether problem exists in a kernel image, or if you're just
eating your own dog food;
- check for existing mantis issue;
- open a new mantis issue if required;
- publish a fix;
- publish a test;
- add a hook for Installer;
- test the hook;
- register the mantis issue as ready for harvesting somewhere (should
better be a user changeable status in mantis report, rather than an
entry in a completely different site).

For a two line change, this infrastructure might cost a few hours indeed.
Ability to trace changes and addition of non regression tests don't
come for free.
Pharo has its own drag with this respect...

I'm all ear to a more efficient process (don't know the emoticon for
open ear...)

Nicolas