Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 19:21:41 UTC 2009

Em 29-06-2009 16:03, Stéphane Rollandin escreveu:
>> Progress and backwards compatibility are fundamentally opposing
>> forces, those insisting on backwards compatibility are the ones
>> preventing progress.
>
> Because they are opposing forces, we need to balance them. What you
> say could be completed with: those insisting in progress are the ones
> preventing actual software to be implemented.
>
> What is the point of progress if you can't harvest it ? Don't you see
> the drawbacks of a permanently moving target ?
>
> Stef

While I was working at the Secretaria de Estado da Educação de São Paulo
that was the way some people found to prevent any action to be
effective: if something is not excellent/optimum, then it is not worth
to be considered. And in this search for excellence they didn't have
even reasonable/average solutions.

I cannot figure how Pharo will deal with the problem of neglecting
backwards compatibility let's say 5 years from now. Will they deploy
only excellent software???? Nothing will get obsolete???? They'll rise
funds to pay people to fix things every time something gets broken by a
new non-backwards compatible image???? Will people be forced to work
with paleolithic images????

About l&f, squeak-dev has a nice one and professional enough.