[squeak-dev] Throwing gasoline on the fire... (re: The future of Squeak & Pharo)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 21:44:45 UTC 2009

2009/6/29 Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se>:
> Hi!
>
> Ramon Leon wrote... ah what the heck - just read his post - I agree with
> 100% of what he wrote. Perfectly phrased. :)
>
> Now... at the end Ramon writes:
>> The people actually doing the work should be the only people
>>
>> with any final say about what does or doesn't get done and what direction
>> things should go.  The only way to challenge the removal of old, bad, or
>> dead code should be to volunteer to step up and maintain it.
>
> This opens up an idea... I know that Steph got totally frustrated on
> squeak-dev when he eventually "gave up" and started Pharo.
> I even wrote to him privately the other day that the "trick" is to have a
> selective ear. But that is not easy.
>
> The key problem is that it can be very hard to separate "doers" from
> "talkers" on squeak-dev. Lots of people post, lots of people have opinions -
> BUT... only a subset of the people with strong opinions actually contribute
> with code.
>
> Ok, so sure, this may be elitist thinking and it may be a *really bad* idea
> - but since we are throwing ideas on the wall to see what sticks here goes:
>
> Perhaps there should be a list for only people with "commit bit"? When
> decisions are to be made then that list is used so that developers can ask
> the others for opinions etc and only active committers have ability to post.
> The list should be public though.
>
> Crazy? Perhaps. But an idea. Because my perception is that the subset of
> active committers very often tend to AGREE on the course of action.

I agree that developers (or committers) should gain some sort of
immunity from critics by anyone else, who is not committing.
But making separate list will not help i think. We already have many of them.

And the last thing. Folklore says: the only people who doesn't making
mistakes is one who doesn't doing anything.
So, let the people try & fail, learn on mistakes and do better things.
Lets move to ANY direction, just don't stay as an idols.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.